Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Lord of the Rings, and falling deeper in Love with the world


I am just now finishing Tolkiens classic work, The Lord of the Rings, I started the book just to read it to my kids, and quickly became absorbed in it myself. There is great reason that every time a vote is taken by mass amounts of people about the greatest work of fiction ever written, the Lord of the Rings almost always wins. I am actually starting to believe that all of the books critics never read it, because its that powerful. Just for fun, read the reviews on amazon.com's website about the book for yourself, this book has rightfully had a powerful impact on people.

I wanted to make a larger point though that has been resonating with me ever since I read the book, that there is incredible beauty in this huge world. According to Peter Kreft in his book, The Philosophy of Tolkien, that was one of the main points that Tolkien wanted to express to the reader, how big the world is, that there's dragons, but fear not, because there's also hero's.
The point of this post, is how much Tolkiens art has helped me fall in love with the world even more. Every tree top, every sound of water, either the ocean or a river, every flower, and most importantly, every person, every smile. Tolkien describes these things in almost painstaking detail. In one point in the book, the fellowship is blindfolded, and Frodo remarks that the experience made him appreciate the incredible sounds that are all around us, that in our noise we take for granted. As I read those lines, I was struck by the beauty of the sounds all around me.

God went to even more painstaking detail in creating the world around us, it would seem to me a great act of pride, not to constantly, and I mean constantly take notice. Beauty- Its everywhere, and I am determined to fall in love with it a little more every day, just take a second to listen the next time you step outside, and allow God to invite you into His world of beauty!

No comments: