Tuesday, June 23, 2009

New Drawing


Drawing for me is an incredible stress reliever and a creative outlet, I work in a business were the results of your labor are often a very long process. In building and in art, you have the immediate satisfaction of your labor. I have been working on these first drawings with my two oldest kids, which has made it even more enjoyable for me. As you can see I am a below average artist, but my two kids age 6, and 7 think I am Michelangelo. I received two unexpected gifts from my son Joseph. Right before school ended a parent of one of Josephs classmates came up to me, and asked if I was a professional artist, I said no, why? She said that Joseph told her son, "that my dad is the greatest artist in the world!!" The next gift came, the other night, I told him that I was working on this drawing for his room, because he liked it so much, and that I actually wrote his name within the detail of the drawing, (Don't try to find it, even I have trouble locating it.) But that night as Mary Kate is putting Joseph to bed, he says to her, "Dad is an amazing artist, he actually has secrets in the detail" What a gift working on this with them has been for me! It reminded me of something that Jim Stenson said about the role of a Father, "Its to give them a glimpse of what the heavenly Father is like," All earthly fathers are imperfect, but we can try to offer them a glimpse! I thought to myself, I am hiding secrets in this little drawing, God the Father, truly the greatest artist in the world, is hiding details for us all throughout nature, life should be a constant adventure to find those mystery's.
The meaning of the drawing is from a book "Strangers and Sojourners" by Michael O'Brien. Its actually my least favorite of his books, but there is a couple great scenes, and this is one that has stuck with me. The meaning is that God's Love and Mercy are an ocean, next to the drops of water of our sins. I am learning more and more that if you miss God's mercy, you miss everything!

No comments: